Thursday, July 10, 2008

Avacado, cyclists, walk in the woods, health code violation

So I gave Ella Avacado as her first real food yesterday. I could tell she enjoyed it more then the rice cereal, but she didn't enjoy it as much as when we gave it to Lilly. Avacado was also Lillys first food and man did she eat it, she grabbed the spoon and she was an eager beaver. I may try something new tommorow as she really didn't eat that much tonight either. So big, I can't wait to make food-they are so pretty and fresh.
Tom listens to this guy on the radio that rants about stuff and one thing he rants about it hating cyclists. I used to think this was crazy, but now I have to say I sort of agree with him. Especially now that it seems like I live and drive in cycle row. A couple weeks ago I was driving down a MAIN road and riding straight down the middle was a cyclists. There was a sidewalk, which I know they don't like to use b/c it isn't as smooth as road, but seriously. It was a MAIN busy road. A road you go like 50 on. I was so annoyed all I could think was "why, why can cyclists just ride wherever?" I mean seriously, can I grab the stroller and just walk down the middle of the road making everyone go around me often times having to ride behind me for some time b/c the road is too narrow to pass and there are cars coming on the other side. I am just not sure why cyclists just get to ride wherever they want and right down the middle of the road when people can't just walk down the middle of the road...or can they? Gah, so frustrating.
So Tom and I got to spend some much needed time together without Lilly recently and we decided to take a hike. Lilly used to love hikes, but as she has gotten older she has gotten less patient. She still likes it, but she wants to get out and walk really slow and look at ever leaf-so its more like a wander with her and we don't get very far in a long period of time. Getting out n walks really is good for us to just talk and not have any distractions and fortunatly Ella is still at the quiet stage. The point is, this particular walk brought me straight back to our crazy days of camping and just being us when I had to pee. Yes..pee. We were too far to turn back so with a baby strapped to my chest (oh yes) I wander into the wood and took care of business. Tom tried to take a picture with his cell phone (I didn't know-I was concentrating on not peeing on myself and not falling over with the baby on my front)...I am glad there is no physical evidence, but it shot me back to pre-kids where I would hang with the guys with the best of them. I was the girl the guys actually liked to hang out with b/c I was easy going and had no problem with things like...peeing in the woods. I don't have guy friends anymore b/c I honestly don't think its appropriate and really where would I find them.....but I am glad that part of me-the rough and tumble part is still in me and honestly my husband glowed with pride.
Speaking of stuff that is kind of gross after hiking we went to eat at a place that did not have a bathroom and as I got Ella out to feed her I realized that she had pooed. And it required an outfit change. There was no waiting around. So we took a blanket out of the bag and put it on the table and I did the fasted diaper/clothes change ever. I prayed nobody would walk by and when I told Tom this he was like "why?"--um b/c I am pretty sure its a health code violation. You see while I did lay down a blanket so no yuck was ever close to the table-I still feel a little guilty..but there was no place else to change her and I certainly wasn't putting her back in the carseat to sit in it. I will say guilt or no this is not our first time. I distinctly remember changing Lilly like this (at I think the same age as I remember the outfit Lilly was wearing when we did it and Ella wears it now) at a Chinese place-it was not a poo for Lilly, but apparently while shameful and totally innapropriate I care more about my kid not sitting in their own filth then I do about health codes...funny that.
Final thought-I love my husband-he is a hard worker, a great friend and my perfect companion. I get to spend the next two days with him as he actually has a full two days off from both of his jobs and I am just so glad b/c we really do love each other alot and he is my favorite person to spend time with..I love my babies but I do kind of wish that these next two days were just him and I. We still haven't gotten a date..and we really need one.

4 comments:

Diana said...

I love the hiking story! What a woman - baby and all taking care of business! Craig would be doing the same thing - trying to capture it on camera - however I can't say if the roles were reversed - I wouldn't do the same!
I tried avocado with Tyler too early on which he liked @ first but now will not eat - I've been thinking recently I should make some not too spicy guacamole and pita bread to dip and see how he likes it!

Corie said...

Oh you crack me UP! I have done the same thing w/ my girls at restaurants... although not on the actual table.... I remember changing Lily a couple times on the bench at a back booth at McDonald's on a road trip b/c of course there was no changing table in the restroom. And I had guilt too, even though I used a blanket. I don't know why places everywhere don't have changing tables. And nursing rooms like at Babies R Us, as long as I'm dreaming....

Denyse said...

Oh, you are just too much! I am loving this blog thing. It is like I get to take a little peak inside everyone's head.
I have known you for a while and never would have guessed that you were an all-star champion at squat style peeing. Me on the other hand, I could never attempt it as I know I would not only pee on myself but fall over in the process.
Thanks for the laughs!

Valerie Stash said...

When John was 3 months old we took a road trip to Indiana, we were in AZ. There were times I also had to change a stinky on a restaurant table.....Things we do as moms!