Wednesday, March 3, 2010
Ella Fights the good Fight
Ella has always been a good sleeper. She has always taken her naps and never really gave me any trouble at bedtime. This past summer in anticipation of her one day sharing a room with Lilly we got her a bed the same time as we bought Lilly a new bed so they would match. That way she could see it, Lilly could see it, they both could know and get used to what was coming. Recently Ella has gone running in there at bedtime--so with a new baby on the way--I took it as a sign. Lets do this thing, make the transition. Now she plays..and plays and plays. You see there is no punishment that seems to fit Ella..she laughs at all obstacles--seems unphased by your stern town. She always has a twinkle in her eye..a mischevious twinkle. Now, I would like to say this drives me crazy (the fact that she was never the good/safe listener that Lilly is) and it does, but it also brings me joy. Her troublemaking..her twinkle means she has passion. She is loving and smart and fun but spunky and ruthless and determined. She makes her own way--sometimes with force, ignores me whenever she can and sparks my last nerve daily. But she has passion--there is fight in her. I don't want my kids to lie down and take it (and honestly even though Lilly isn't the same, she isn't that girl either). I want my kids to challenge me, to challenge each other. Has hard as it is--the woman I want them to be are fighters. For some they may agree, but disagree on the fight for a later bedtime or more milk but these are THEIR fights. They are children-they don't know about life, politics, people. These are the fights that test their wills, their patience, and for Ella her ability to turn a mischevious grin when she knows I am boiling over. Imagine the power and strength she will carry in her life if she can hold onto that. If someone can confront her in life and she can bring them to the edge of insanity and turn with a grin and calm nowhere near the end of her fight. She fights the good fight and teaches me to keep my calm when I start to boil over because God only knows that I will not be bested by a 2 year old. So thanks Ella, for driving me crazy and keeping me sane and trying my nerve but teaching me to keep calm in the face of adversity.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment