Monday, June 2, 2008

Yay Weekend, Lilly overwhelmed, my favorite time of day, and how quickly we forget

So I had a super weekend. My best friend came to town and we spent all day on Saturday together. We worked out, she helped me get some work done, and we chatted and went for a couple walks and watched a movie (Walk Hard-the Dewy Cox Story). It was just so nice to spend a whole day with company. I forget how nice it is to just have someone to talk to and hang out with all day with no responsibilty. Tom works approx every other Saturday so I am often by myself on Saturdays. Sometimes its nice to unwind, but mostly its just lonely. I could always take the kids out, but generally things on Saturdays are way overcrowded and I just can't imagine bracing that on my own. I used to take them to the grocery to get it out of the way and yea..I decided that is just torture. So anyway-point is...it was really nice having a companion.
I have recently discovered that I think Lilly gets a bit overwhelmed in groups. I used to think she was a bit antisocial, not in what I consider a bad way-she just wasn't much of a joiner. Recently I have taken her to two different friends houses that she has met maybe once or twice and she played well with the other kids and the adults. She also immediatly was taken by playing with my girlfriend who was talking to me primarly so it wasn't like she was super engaging her, but she definetly wanted to play anyway. Then just tonight she willingly played with the neighbor girl who she has only met a couple times but has in the past been fine with going and playing with her before too. It seems like its not that she is anti-social per se, but more she is a one on one kid. Which is interesting since I prefer to be one on one with people as well. I have a much harder time getting comfortable in a group then I am one on one. To be fair though I did catch her playing with a little girl at church which was super cute (the little girl was sitting in a chair with Lilly and they were reading together and the girl would take her hand and lead her around the room playing with her) while this is a one on one interaction there were many kids around so I dont know if she was okay b/c it was just one kid or what. She is also okay at her daycare-where there are several kids and she never seems to have a problem at the Y daycare either. Now first thing in the morning she isn't ready to play at Daycare and I never see her playing with kids at the Y-so I don't really know. But its just an interesting observation that she appears to prefer smaller groups of people.
I love the end of the day. I love when everything is done and we are putting the girls to bed. I love laying in bed with Lilly and reading her the train book that we love to read together. The prayer before bed..the way she takes the book and sais whoo whoo as we leave the room b.c she is reading the book just one more time to herself and then I love peeking at my tiny babe and she smiles in her sleep..she is so happy. I just love my kids....which leads me to
How quickly we forget-the suffering of pregnancy and the after pains. When I was pregannt I was sure I would never go through it again. I hated being pregnant-I loved there was going to be a baby in the end, but really there was so many issues during both my pregnancies I was sure I was done. Now that Ella is here--I feel pretty convicted (who knows what will end up happening after she gets older and maybe things will get more hectic so don't hold me to this) that I do want more kids. I am not surprised that I want more kids, I am surpised that I want to have more kids the "natural" way (not through adoption). I cant tell you how many times I said I never wanted to be pregnant again, but now..now I don't want to be pregnant next week or anything, but my heart is definetly open to more. How quickly we forget or don't really care b/c it means we get to have more children. What a blessing our children are.

2 comments:

Corie said...

Jason often works Saturdays as well-- if you ever feel like you don't want to be alone that day then we could get the girls together!

Anonymous said...

I had a great time too!!! Send me some of the pics you took of Lilly in her sunglasses 8-)