Tuesday, May 13, 2008

The shot heard round the world..or at least that's how it feels

Why do they make you hold your babies arms and stare into their face as the poke them viciously in the leg while plainly out of view. Yesterday Ella had shots and she was smiling at me as I held her down and knew what was coming..I wanted to look away, wear a mask, make her understand this was not me, but I couldn't I had to look into her eyes. Then my normally fuss free child had a terrible afternoon, she was so incomfortable. The had forgotten to give her tylanol at the Dr.'s-something I was counting on. Every time my girls have gotten shots I have just given Tylanol-no way was I going to wait for them to feel pain and I have never noticed any sort of fussiness. Now I know, I know that she was in pain. She ached, and I ached for her. Yesterday was supposed to be a good day, my easy day of the week, but it was too hard to keep my mind in the game when I could see my little girl fighting through her pain to try and smile at me. What a brave child I have. I think I will go give her a hug now.

2 comments:

Katy said...

Shots are no fun!! I hope she's doing better today!

Corie said...

Aw, that is rough. Poor baby. And poor Ella, too. :)